It's JUST food, don't take it personal...

First things first, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all of the mommies out there! I hope your day was filled with love, rest, and good food! Speaking of good food, we had a wonderful spread on yesterday, prepared by my mother in law, a tender beef roast, macaroni and cheese, fresh squash, fresh green beans, white rice and candy yams (not to mention two Delicious pies). Boy was it good, but I have to admit, since I have opted for a cleaner and healthier way of eating, I kind of cringe when the holidays come around especially because in my family EVERY holiday is celebrated with an abundance of food, whether it be Memorial Day, Independence Day (America, Mexico, AND Texas Slave Independence Day-- Juneteenth lol) I mean we will take any holiday and make it a true celebration! But while one this path to a healthier me I cringe around these times because I know I will be TEMPTED to the 100th power with foods that I used to eat w/ out thinking twice about. Like yesterday's meal, back in the day I would have filed on the candy yams and macaroni, while taking a spoonful each of the squash and green beans but since my change, I now get a small portion of meat, file on the fresh veggies and get a TEAspoon of the PROCESSED carbs, like the candy yams and macaroni (I didn't touch the white rice) all while eating from a saucer, yes the small child's plate as my husband calls it!

So on top of being tempted, I also have to endure the MILLION and Eleven HUNDRED questions from family about why I am doing what I am doing....smh...why don't people mind their own business I DON'T KNOW, but let me share with you a list of the questions AND statements that I have encountered thus far, here we go:

-Girl, its _______ (insert ANY holiday, special occasion, hell any day of the week even lol) you don't need to be on no diet. <Who said I was on a "DIET"?>

-Oh so you are acting funny, not wanting to eat my food... <What if I'm not hungry?!?!>

-Ain't nothing wrong with a little cake (pie, ding dong, ho-ho etc.) sometimes.. <Yeah I used to think that, but you see where that got me...>

-My doctor told me that we all need salt to live, why you ask what kind do I use? <You only need a tablespoon A DAY, and I prefer unprocessed sea salt, and I asked because its my body and I want to know what I am putting in it.>

-When did you start this mess?!? < ...soryy but I usually ignore that question....>

 and my all time favorite (drum roll please!!!!)

"WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BE ON A DIET?  YOU ARE FINE THE WAY YOU ARE."  <LIAR!Again, IGNORE, because what they mean is that they are more comfortable with you being unhealthy because your healthy choices are making them rethink their own unhealthy options...but I digress>

And the list goes on! Honestly at first I would entertain the questions and answer them, but I quickly learned that most of the time they really didn't want to hear the answer...*shrugs* But one thing I have started doing was not eating from a saucer any time I'm not at home (I will explain the saucer in another post) and also not making my plate look too different from every one else's and just taking the rest "TO GO" which usually means (pending on what it is) TO THE TRASH! No really, I had to start putting myself first and stop stuffing myself with unhealthy food for the sake of not hurting peoples feelings, I'm sorry but your sugar and margarine <yuck!> drenched sweet potatoes (Or any other unhealthy food options) are not worth compromising my health...It just isn't anymore. Period. Point Blank.

I'm sure many of you have been questioned when you decided to live a healthier lifestyle and I pray that you learn to make the best of it and not revert back to your old ways just to satisfy someone else, even your significant other (that's another post!). How do you handle the unsolicited questions and comments? Let me know.

Eating to LIVE and not the other way around.